I am in serious over-drive on the stress from figuring out schooling options for the girls for next year. It is SO HARD to know what the right thing to do is and there are so many choices with varying degrees of pros and cons for each of them.
This year both girls are in private school. It's an amazing school, both girls are in amazing programs and we mostly love it. Well, we love everything but that gosh darn tuition bill that keeps sneaking up every month. We KNOW it's money well spent and that the girls are getting a great early education experience, but you know, still. I have other issues/praises over this school, but honestly when it gets right down the very basics, it always comes back to the money.
So the first choice is continuing on in private school next year.
The next choice is public school. I have my issues, in general, with the idea of public school. I don't have any SPECIFIC issues with any public schools. At one point Iris was all enrolled and ready to go to public school, until we up and moved clear to the other end of the city. There is an alternative elementary school very near our house that I have heard great things about, but I've never so much as stepped foot inside of it. I need to go on a tour. Again, a whole host of pros/cons that are all very different from those associated with private school.
The third choice is homeschooling. I am 99% sure Iris(my six year old) will be home schooled next year, however there is a constant nagging voice that says "what if I screw her up royally?!?!" in the back of my head. Maybe formal schooling is the best choice for her?
I won't be homeschooling Eloise (my four year old) as well, however. Eloise will either attend 1/2 day public school or full day (4 days per week) private school. Eloise and Iris are very, very different kids personality wise. At least this coming school year, I want to spend more one-on-one time with Iris at home before adding Eloise's frantic energy in to the mix 24/7.
Of course, homeschooling. Yet another list of pros and cons.
I'm terrified I'm going to make the wrong choice for one or both of them. We are fortunate enough to have a whole plethora of choices available to us, but it's crippling me with doubt. I'm sitting at my desk looking over public and private school forms. Knowing I can send them in and still withdraw the girls later if need be. At some point I WILL have to decide, though. I keep telling myself "it's just one year, we can change again the following year if we need to" but I also don't want to put anyone on the roller coaster of school changes if we don't have to.
Here I thought that hardest schooling decision I would ever have to make was sending my first kid to Kindergarten. The rest would be easy after that. Um, no such luck.