Friday, February 07, 2014

The Rough Week

Ugh. Hopefully I am on the tail end of a rough week, but who knows. Life doesn't always go as planned, huh?

My kitten is still not doing well. On top of wonky bloodwork that doesn't point to anything specific, he always apparently has had giardia since we adopted him. I am so worried about him that I've been cancelling most plans that aren't necessary so that I can be home and just keep an eye on him. He's not struggling, not yet, but I just don't know when he's going to take a turn for the worse. And I want to make sure he is eating and is comfortable and warm. Our poor other kitten, Opal, is a completely spastic little thing. She is about four months old and just gets in to EVERYTHING. The number one reason we adopted two kittens was so they would have a companion . . . and now Opal's companion is too ill to interact with her, so she finds her own trouble to get in to. Today Opal jumped on Inky and he hissed at her. It almost broke my heart, because poor Opal just wants to play, and Inky just wants to rest. 

One thing that has made it easier to be okay being home is that I have been sick for a few days. Just a cold, but it is exhausting me. Well, the cold and the emotions of the week, I suppose. 

So, due to sticking around the house and not feeling well, I haven't had a real workout since Sunday's run. I had been taking one rest day a week for the past few weeks, so this is a lot of rest time, but honestly, I don't really care. I am too exhausted too think about it too much. I am trying to do my PT exercises every day, though, which leads me to my next point . . . 

I couldn't go to my PT appointment on Wednesday because of this little thing you might have heard of called the Seahawks parade that drew over 700,000 to Seattle's downtown. Um, yeah, I wasn't going anywhere--including to the parade (I think I was one of about a dozen people in Seattle who didn't make it). The kicker is that I had waited weeks for the appointment and the next opening is several weeks out. I spoke to my therapist on the phone, however, and he doesn't want me to keep running if I'm still having the same aches and pains. Here's the funny part: I actually asked him if I could quit doing run/walk, since I was still in pain, why not just run the whole time anyways? He laughed. And then told me I need to bring my running down to a level where I am not in pain afterwards. And I hate that, because guess what that means? Bye bye Marathon attempt #3! He also suggested I find a trainer who can work with me to build functional strength in relation to running, so I'll be working on that. 

It sucks. I feel like last weekend I was at the top of everything. I didn't know how sick my kitten was, I thought I was doing fine plugging away at my training plan (yes, ignoring the aches and pains), and hadn't gotten sick yet. Hopefully everything will be on the upswing again soon! 


  1. Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about your bad week. Sick kitten, running plans ruined, and being sick. :(

    Ha, I had to go to work on Wednesday on Capitol Hill. My early bus in to town was ok, but getting home was a nightmare. Smart choice to stay away.

    I hope next week turns around for you!

  2. Thanks Lindsay. I am still in awe anyone got anywhere at all on Wednesday, such a mass of people!


Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!