Monday, June 16, 2014

Unofficial Tri Training (Ha!) and Other Updates

Thursday was a fun, though very busy, day. I headed to the pool after getting my daughter off to school. It is so much work for only 40 minutes of swimming! Driving there, getting ready to get in, then getting out, showering, dressing, driving home . . . all of that took at least 40 minutes. After I got home I put on my running clothes and headed out for a 2 mile run. It was a tough 2 miles, which I will go ahead and attribute to being tired from the swim.  

On Thursday afternoon I promised Eloise I would take her to Alki beach. She begged and begged, and I caved and rented us a two seater surrey, which is a bike with four wheels and a roof. "This will be fun!" I thought. And it was, for a while. We rode the surrey two miles to Marination Ma Kai, where we stopped for shave ice. 

The first half of the ride was the easy half, as we were straight in to the wind the whole way back. It sucked. Hard. Pedaling those surreys is hard with long legs, because you can never straighten your legs out, so you have no leverage. In fact, Eloise could power the thing almost as well as I could, her only problem is she could barely reach the pedals from her seat. I may have complained about a million times on the way back about how tired I was and how hard it was, but Eloise loved it. LOVED. 

We got pizza and sat on the beach after we returned the surrey. It occurred to me in that moment that I did a triathlon throughout the day! High five to me! You think I could enter a real tri with a two seater surrey? 

Eloise eats shave ice in the surrey.

This is from the rental car I got this week. You see that button in the middle? 
WTF is a cat folder?!

Maybe this is a cat folder? 

So, anyways, I have now run twice since taking my second two week break. I am not sure how my foot is. I did notice that it wasn't as sore between runs, so that is promising. My foot isn't 100% soreness-free, but I do know that isn't uncommon when coming back from stress fractures, or almost stress fractures. I feel cautiously optimistic about things. At this point, I think Ragnar is going to be brutal, but I'll be able to do it. 

Speaking of Ragnar, team Everything is Awesome had, well, an awesome get together/team meeting at my house last weekend. Nine of us were here and everyone was so very cool, I am more excited than ever for Ragnar. I am also sad about not getting to hang out more with my van #1 teammates during the race! The race will be a blast, and I am already hoping that all, or at least most, of the team will return next summer (maybe we can be team Everything is Still Awesome?! haha).

And . . . . speaking of summer. This coming week two exciting/nerve-wracking things are going to happen: My older daughter, Iris, is turning 10. TEN. Officially a pre-teen (though she has been practicing for this for a while . . . ). Crazy town. School also lets out for the summer. I don't know if I am ready, or that I would ever be ready, but here it comes! Hopefully we have enough camps, trips and other fun things planned to make the summer our best yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!